Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian

my dog had a cyst either burst or she scratched it open ...

my dog had a cyst either burst or she scratched it open (pretty good sized, bigger than a grape)on her right shoulder. I shaved the fur down and cleaned it up. There are actually 3 holes....I'm questioning whether one of them needs a stitch, but I'm not totally convinced (we've been through this twice before). I am trying to keep her from scratching at it to no avail. I tried taping a "patch" on it, but she got that off within a half hour. Any suggestions on how to keep her away? A bell isn't going to help.

If it truly is a cyst (fluid or thick cheesy looking material inside of it), then it really shouldn't be stitched up. These things need to be flushed out very thoroughly and left open to heal from the inside out. But, you need to make sure all the cyst material is out or it will not heal up.

She also should be on an oral antibiotic so this will heal up without getting infected. You will need to see your vet for this.

One suggestion for covering up the area somewhat would be to get a tshirt that fits her and have her wear that until it heals. Most dogs tolerate them well and they will cover most lesions on the torso. If it hangs loosely, gather it up at the bottom of the shirt and tie it in a knot around her waist (so to speak) so she doesn't get a foot caught in it. The shoulder area is very difficult to bandage, and, with this being a cyst, it will do better without a tight dressing over it. So, a tshirt will help cover it hopefully.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vicky Lamb's Post: I did work the holes quit a bit and did get a lot of cottage cheesey stuff to come out, although a lot of it was hard and had black in it. I thnk I got it all out. I guess this one can't be a home fix. I will contact my vet in the morning. I will also try the t-shirt, that was a good idea
It does sound indeed like a cyst from your description. You've done everything right so far, but you will need the antibiotics from your vet. Then it should hopefully heal up within a couple weeks. Hope the tshirt works for her!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your help....I appreciate it!