Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

when can newborn puppies go outside

Customer Question

I have 6 newborn puppies 3 1/2 weeks old. Can i put them outstide to gp potty?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

At 3 and 1/2 weeks of age, they shoudl be at the point of being able to regulate their own body temperature and thus could go outside. However, outside poses its own set of risks such as diseases and parasites in the grass and dirt. Parvovirus can live up to a year in the grass and can be a deadly disease if not caught and treated early. So unless you have an area that you know positively no other dog that was unvaccinated has been in then I would advise you to just keep the puppies in until they go to their new homes. A bleach solution (1 part bleach to 30 parts water) can be used to kill parvo in the grass.

I hope this information is helpful to you.