Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dogs nose is hot and his tongue is hot (when

My dog's nose is hot and his tongue is hot (when he licks me). He's about 9 months old and he's a beagle mix. His energy level is good and he's still eating and drinking normally, but he has had a little diarrhea the last two days. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

If your puppy's nose and tongue feel warmer than usual, and he's had some slight diarrhea, he may have an infection in his system, caused by a viral or bacterial source. I'm glad to hear that his energy level and eating/drinking is normal, but it would be a good idea to have him evaluated by the vet, especially since we're heading into the weekend.

If you'd like to check his temperature, use a regular rectal thermometer, lubricated with vaseline, and insert into his anus 1 inch. Hold it there for 1-3 minutes, then remove and read. Normal temperature for dog is between 100.5-102.5.
If he has over 103, I'd definitely have him see the vet today.

Make sure he's drinking sufficiently, as diarrhea will cause him to lose more fluid during a b.m. and if he does have a low-grade or higher fever, this too, will cause him to become more dehydrated.

I hope he'll be fine.