Olivia
Olivia, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 yr rescuer, 5 years experience in busy clinic, assisted in diverse surgeries, has many pets.
2359359

My dog is drinking a lot of water but not eating at all.

Customer Question

My dog is drinking a lot of water but not eating at all. What is wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Olivia replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'll need some more information to better understand the situation,

How old is your dog? Breed? Weight?

Would you consider your dog overweight?

How long has this behavior been going on for?

Any vomitting or diarhhea? Any other odd behavior?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX would be very helpful in figuring out what's going on with your dog.
~Olivia
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Olivia's Post: Hi Olivia,

She is 11 years old. She is a Doberman/Rottweiler mix. She is overweight - uncertain of exact weight. She has been vomiting a little but no diahrea. No otehr odd behavior noted. She did eat a little alst night but prior to that behavior began on Sunday.

Thank you.
Expert:  Olivia replied 9 years ago.
I'm afraid your dog may have a kidney problem. Either the kidney itself is not functioning properly or she may have diabetes. These things happen when dogs get older, and usually occurring in overweight dogs. Drinking excessive water is also a symptom of a thyriod problem, which could also be in this case, but it usually includes ravenous appetite.
There is nothing you can do at home for her, you need to have the vet run a few diagnostic test and give her fluids (since she hasn't ben eating). She will need a blood test and urinalysis for now. This will help determine what is going on and to what degree. You must have her seen today because lack of eating can cause other organs to deteriorate. The sooner you have her seen, the easier it'll be for her to battle this.

This problem is not something you can cure. You need to do continuous testing and treatment to maintain her. And sometimes the treatment will not be enough an she'll need new treatments. You should seek your vet immediately.

Best Wishes,
~Olivia