Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine
1172318

WHEN A DOG IS STAR GAZING, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

MY MIN PIN HAD A NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEM. SHE HELD HER HEAD UPWARD. MY VETERINARIAN SAID IT WAS CALLED STAR GAZING. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU WERE FAMILIAR WITH THIS.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer-

Star gazing in dogs can be either due to a very mild focal seizure in dogs, or it can be part of an obsessive compulsive behavior. Unfortunately, It can be hard to tell the difference between these two. The only way to diagnose mild seizures for certain is with an electroencephalogram (EEG) which records electrical activity of the brain. These are not routinely done in dogs because they are not really practical. Dogs won't sit still to have all these elctrodes attached to them, and if you sedate them so that they will be still, it changes the results of the test.

If there are other behaviors that may suggest a focal seizure, such as facial tics or ear twitching, that may suggest seizure activity. If there are other behavioral issues, such as obsessive licking, chasing tail, or really anything that just seems weird to you, it may be behavioral.

At this point, it may be a good idea to keep a written record of these events or other things you notice. If these episodes are getting more frequent or lasting longer, your vet may consider trying her on some medication. Which medication is used would depend on whether this seems more like seizure activity or obsessive compulsive behavior. It may help your vet to see an episode of this, so if she does it some more, try catching an episode on video so you can share it with your vet.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click Accept. If you need more information, please let me know.