Dr. Hanson
Dr. Hanson, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. for more than 30 years. I have experience treating all varieties of animals.
90970

my dog is 13, she is foaming at the mouth, unable to stand ...

my dog is 13, she is foaming at the mouth, unable to stand up. She has been laying down for 3 hours. She has had convulsions and she is breathing but is pretty non responsive. I want her to die at home if that is what's happening. Is that what's happening?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Hanson replied 7 years ago.

Foaming at the mouth and convulsions are not symptoms of dying of old age. It sounds like your dog is having a grand mal seizure which should be treated urgently with medication administered by a vet. Keep your dog warm. I recommend you take her to a vet immediately. Wrap her in a warm blanket and keep her warm on the way to the vet.

Grand mal seizures can be due to many causes e.g. eating something toxic, a head injury, an electrolyte imbalance due to various diseases, excessively high temperature above 106 degrees F, dehydration, and other causes too numerous to state here.

When a dog has a grand mal seizure the dog's jaw muscles will spasm and the dog will appear to be chattering its teeth and then the dog will begin to salivate. Breathing will become forced and if the jaw is set in a closed position the forced breathing will stimulate the saliva to foam up and the dog will appear to be "foaming at the mouth." http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html

When a dog dies at home the dog dies slowly and peacefully. A dog that is dying from natural causes (old age) does not foam at the mouth and convulse.

If your dog stops breathing then perform CPR http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/dog-cpr.html

If you have any questions please ask me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: She has just been laying on the ground. I have blankets on her. She has her tongue hanging out of her mouth there is saliva around the mouth. She has been quiet for 3 hours, she will occasionally twitch and then she began moving her legs like she was running on her side, then she stops and lies there non responsive but breathing.

Has she eaten anything recently? When was her last meal? What did she eat? Has she had a normal bowel movement every day? Has she been urinating normally (is her urine clear and not orange)? Has she ever been diagnosed with any chronic problems e.g. diabetes, kidney disease, or epilepsy?

When she becomes responsive then offer her a bowl of warm (baby bottle temperature) sugar water. Mix 4 to 6 tablespoonfuls of sugar into 1 or 2 cups of water preferably while the water is boiling so the sugar is uniformly mixed into the water and doesn't settle on the bottom of the bowl. Place some of the sugar water mixture on her lips and if you can then place some inside her mouth on her tongue. Rub her chest gently and massage her body. This should help arouse her.

Also, it's very important to keep her very warm. Warmth will help her circulation and help her to become more responsive.

The ground is cold. Place her on a soft surface and keep her warm by snugly wrapping her in an electric blanket set to medium if you have one.

I recommend you wrap her up very warmly and then take her to an emergency vet. Telephone the vet beforehand so the veterinary team will be prepared to treat her immediately when you get her there. She should be given IV fluids with dextrose to help arouse her.

Please keep me informed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: After reading your email. I took her to emergency, when we picked her up she was non responsive tongue hanging out, her bowels had released. The vet took her, gave her glucose and got her blood sugar up and she began convulsing, gave her valium, no result gave her pheonobarbitol, stopped seizing but no response, gave oxygen, he said she's not responding and I asked she I put her down, he said that would be the most humane. So we did. She had good appetitie good bm's . She had bad hips and she lately fell over, but would recover. I think her heart or stroke. For about 2 months prior she had a gooey eye and white was all red. the vet gave her predisone drops and that took the red out. Whatever she will be missed and I'm so happy we had a beautiful walk that morning. Thanks for your help

I am so very sorry we couldn't save her. You did all that was humanly possible to save her. She is at peace.

I am sorry.

Dr. Hanson

Dr. Hanson, Veterinarian
Experience: D.V.M. for more than 30 years. I have experience treating all varieties of animals.