Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field
3769875

What would the proper dosage of loperamide hydrochloride ...

What would the proper dosage of loperamide hydrochloride (immodium) be for an 8 - 11 lb. dog be? My dogs ( 3) got into my trash three days ago and have diarrhea. I have given them Pepto Bismol three to four times a day, but two of them still have diarrhea. I also fasted them for 24 hours and now have them eating very small meals, 4 times a day: white rice and chicken baby food ( which they gobble up).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 7 years ago.

The dose for Immodium is 0.1 mg per pound every 12 hours. So for your guys, 0.8mg for 8 pounds and approx 1 mg for the 11 pound dog. Immodium can only be used for UP TO 2 days- no more. The chicken should be 1/3 of the meal and rice 2/3 of the meal. You can also add 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin (not spiced) or cooked sweet potato to each meal to help bulk up the stools. This extra fiber is a natural way to reset the digestive tract. If diarrhea persists or worsens they will need to be seen by the veterinarian to rule out bacterial infection or pancreatitis.

Please let me know if you need additional information.
Experience: Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Amy,

I KNOW this is not pancreatitis, as my wonder dog, Wolfie ( now deceased :( .... ) suffered from that.

These NUTS got into my trash ( my fault, should have put it in the dumpster).... and now three of them had it ( out of 4 )..... one is over it now.

I DID call their vet. ( at Tufts: state of the art facility in Massachusetts) and talk to her on Thursday and they have an appt. to see her on Monday afternoon if this is not resolved.

I have tablets: 2 mg. each. So I will simply cut in half for the 11 pounder and a little less for the 8 pounder, right?

I have given Pepto Bismol today ( four times.... every 4 -5 hours) and it seems to be doing nothing.

I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Pepto Bismol is USELESS for me. So that's why I'm thinking that if Immodium works for me.... maybe it will work better than the PB for them!

Last dosage of PB for them was at 10 p.m. They are asleep now. When can I give them the Immodium? Would it be OK to give it at 6 am.???

Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, Amy........ Have YOU ever, personally, given Immodium to your dogs?? Was it successful?

Ann
Sorry you are going through this. If it makes you feel any better I have 2 at home just like them.

Pepto is often prescribed for dogs first but I do not think it is very effective in most cases. I do prefer Immodium (give it to mine) and think you will see results with that.

As far as cutting the pills- you are right 1/2 and slightly less than 1/2. If they both improve after a single dose, you can try giving less to them at the next interval. 6 am is fine to begin the Immodium.

I highly recommend the canned pumpkin or cooked sweet potato as well. This type of natural fiber helps relieve both constipation and diarrhea- and can be soothing to the digestive tract in humans and animals. We often recommend that IBS/colitis patients use it as part of a regular diet to help prevent problems as well. I do give it to all of my dogs occasionally and to my colitis boy daily. With mild diarrhea, it has prevented me from having to use any medications.

It is based on weight so a small dog 8-11 pounds would get 1-2 teaspoons, medium dogs 2-3 teaspoons, large dogs 1-2 tablespoons and x-large dogs (over 100lbs) would get 2-3 tablespoons.

My pleasure! Glad I can help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to accept your answers and I thank you sooooo much!

One quick question: Wolfie, my love, DID have chronic pancreatitis ( as an after-effect of a spinal laminectomy )..... We had it very much under control after playing around with various foods for a year after his surgery.

However, I could NOT give him canned pumpkin ( I always have it on hand.... but have not given it to these boys in about a month or so)..... as it GAVE him diarrhea. Now... maybe this was because he DID have GI problems and pancreatitis as a result of that spinal surgery.

Would you recommend that I just try the immodium first ( with the rice and babyfood chicken), initially. Or should I try adding the pumpkin with the next feeding ....about 6 a.m.???

Also... should the immodium be given before or after the 6 a.m. meal... and how much before or after???

This is the last question. I'm thrilled that I can give this to them... I think it will work. IF it stops the problem, should I still give them a second dose... 12 hours later to keep them OK. Or should I just give the initial dose if they seem fine within hours, afterward?

Thanks soooo much! I'm sooo sick of changing bedding, washing it, scrubbing my carpeting on my hands and knees! I've had enough of this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Amy,

One other question...... is there a way, if I come back on this forum.... to ask a question.. that I can, specifically request YOU for an answer.

I asked a question about a month ago, I believe
( first time ever ) and I DID accept that answer but I wasn't quite as impressed with the suggestion, etc.

Thanks.... and I'm going back to bed as soon as I hear back from you. It's almost 2 a.m. where I am.
No problem- thats what I am here for.

The fiber works with water intake can loosen stools if given to a dog (especially sensitive ones) that may have intolerance to the ingredient itself. Chronic pancreatitis is a whole different story. Due to the sensitivities they tend to have with food, we do not typically recommend pumpkin for dogs like Wolfie (cute name!) If you are worried you can hold off on the pumpkin, but that small amount will not hurt them.

The Immodium can be given with the meal or just (up to 30 minutes) before. I use a taper dose of Immodium so you do not have to start and stop suddenly. Give them a full dose at 6am then give them 1/2 or 1/4 dose if they improve during the day. This way, if you see stools beginning to loosen again, you do not have to play catch up with the Immodium again. If they have normal appearing stools after that, you can stop, if improving but still not all the way, I would give a third dose...even smaller if you feel it would be adequate.

Unfortunately, you have education by experience and will certainly get a feel for things as they change. Use your best judgment and you will do fine.

You can ask for me if you wish in the future. During the question screen there is a button
at option 2 choose experts (where you put the category in) on the lower right side of that block. It says "request an expert" in gray. It will either say Vet Tech Amy or Helping Boo which is my profile name. Hopefully you will not need me, but if you do, I will be happy to help.