Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

If my dog gets pregnant by her brother. Will the litter be okay

Customer Question

My dog is showing signs of beeing pregnant. The male dog that I have is from the same litter as the female. Will their be a problem with the health of the pupps in the litter if the parents are brother and sister?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

What you are talking about is called inbreeding. Experienced breeders sometimes inbreed to fix an exceptional dog's breed traits in the subsequent puppies. However, while fixing desirable traits you also have a higher chance of having undesirable traits and health problems crop up as a result. This is due to having less of a genetic diversity and having a higher chance of getting a recessive gene for an undesirable trait from both the mom and the dad who were closely related.

It is recommended that if you plan on inbreeding that at least 3 generation of the pedigree be examined in great detail for health problems and undesirable breed traits.

I, as a breeder, do not recommend breeding closely related dogs by inexperienced breeders as it does introduce a higher chance of health problems and can result in smaller litter size, and weaker immune systems as well. I'd rather have the genetic diversity of 2 unrelated dogs and healthy puppies than potentially having puppies with breed faults or weakened immune system or other health problems.

I know you didn't plan this but you want to be careful in the future so this doesn't happen in the future. The puppies may be just fine but they are more prone to having some sort of fault or health problem as explained above. If you’d like to read more in inbreeding here is a website with additional info.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. I did not plan for this but it is good to know that if I watch them carefully they may be okay.