Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why does my male dog lick my female dogs pee

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Lilsquirt,

A male dog can tell a lot about a female's health by tasting the urine. This behavior could be attributed to the dog's urine having a sweet taste associated with diabetes or it could be a learned behavior from his mother or the smell of blood in the urine triggering the licking. A nursing mother will ingest the feces and urine of her puppies to keep the nesting area clean. Some dogs do "learn" the behavior from their mother. As male dogs frequently lick the urine of female dogs when they are in heat, your dog may be detecting minute amounts of blood in the urine triggering him to lick the urine.

You can discourage the behavior by keeping the urine cleaned up and if you notice him start to do this, give him a correction in the form of a low toned "NO". Hopefully this will correct the situation. I would mention it to your vet when you take him in for his vaccination so he can be checked for diabetes.

I hope this information is helpful to you.