Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

Cat acting like something is stuck ini his mouth.

Customer Question

About 2 hours ago, my 5 year old neutered cat Bruce darted out of the bedroom licking his lips and drooling slightly. I was able to look in his mouth for anything that might be stuck, but wasn't able to see anything. Since then he's done it several times. Running away from wherever he was, licking his lips and shaking his head like he has something stuck in his mouth. I'm wondering if its a loose tooth or a cavity and am hoping i can wait until tomorrow to take him to the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 9 years ago.

Is there anything he could have licked or bitten?

what and when did he eat last?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He was in my bedroom. There are no plants or perfume. unless he swallowed some stuffing from a comforter, or swallowed some kitty litter, i can't think of anything.

He ate last around 3:30, he hasn't eaten dinner, but did take a treat from me after he ran out of the room

Bruce may have an abscessed tooth.however,his actions are more symtomatic of a cat that either licked someting diagreeable or has something stuck in his mouth.Check the cheek pockets and uder the tongue.

He may have ingested a thread,piece of carpet, goten a static electric shock or even have bitten his tongue.

when he ran, he was trying to escape from a painful issue.

See if he will drink a bit of milk or tuna water.

If he takes it, try canned cat food, boiled chicken or tuna.

A cats appetitite is the best barometor of his health because sick cats won't eat.

if he does, let him and then just keep an eye on him for a few hours.

Please let me know how he is doing.I wil always be here for both of you

I hope your baby will be fine.

Very sincerely,

How is Bruce?

Is he still acting like he has something stuck?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Terri.. I haven't used this site for awhile, and although it's been over a year since you helped me, I just saw your question about whether Bruce was better!

Bruce was (and is) perfectly healthy. Many thanks for easing my mind.