Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is drooling excessively, continually licking ...

My dog is drooling excessively, continually licking his lips, and drinking large quantities of water. In the past, we have noticed a similar behavior temporarily before he vomits. Today he has been salivating heavily for at least an hour and appears to have a change in temperment.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi smcleary,

Drooling normally comes before vomiting or it can occur with a tooth or gum problem.

What breed of dog is this?

What is the age?

Does the dog get any rawhides, bones or dog chews?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: He is a rott.. He is 4 years old.. He chews rawhides seldomly.. I have never seen him drool this much... He is moving around ok just drooling..
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

There are a couple of things I would worry about and watch for. If there were any raw hides or non food items given recently then I would worry about a blockage of the intestines.

Being a large size dog I would also worry about bloat. This is a twisting of the intestines and can take a dogs life within hours of onset. You will see excessive drooling, nausea, pacing, abdomibal pain and extention, and dry heaving. This is not to be waited out.

Another possibiliy is the dog got into something toxic, even toads can cause excessive drooling and some toads are toxic to dogs. Other toads may not be toxic but will leave a bad taste in the mouth if licked. Try flushing the mouth out with a garden hose, just be sure the water does not go directly down the throat. Check the areas where the dog would frequent and check for anything out of the ordinary tha may cause poisoning.