ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My dog has rice size white worms in his stool. What ...

Customer Question

My dog has rice size white worms in his stool. What treatment can I give him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 9 years ago.

These are tapeworms. It requires either droncit or drontal to safely and effectively get rid of them. It is a one time pill that in severe cases can be given once again in 3 weeks if needed. It is prescription only but with a stool sample dropped off showing the worms, most vets who have seen your dog before will gladly give you the pill. It is inexpensive but a great medication.

Tapeworms come from ingesting fleas, so it's likely your dog has also had a flea or fleas on him. You'll want to start him on advantage or frontline at least 2 consecutive months to kill any fleas at all stages of their life cycle.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

christine