ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

what would make a dogs tongue turn a blue purple color

Customer Question

My dog has kidney disease and hasnt eaten for about a week. Today we were suppose to take her in to be put to sleep, but my husband couldnt do it.We noticed today that her tongue is doscolored and it is a blue purple color. She acts like she wants to drink, but she doesnt. Would you know what would make her tongue this color? She also has a very foul smell that comes from her mouth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 9 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog and the circumstances. when the tongue and/or gums are bluish like this, this means there is a lack of oxygen being sent to the exterior parts of the body; when the dog isn't oxygenating well, this is a very serious condition and will lead to death eventually. It is not surprising your dog doesn't feel well enough to drink, and the smell coming from her is likely the toxicities occuring from the kidney disease, a common symptom in end stage kidney failure. If your dog makes it through the night, I do recommend having the euthanasia done in the morning so your baby can be put to rest. While likely not in pain, she does feel "ill". I am truly sorry for what you are going through, and do let me know if there is anything at all I can help further with.