NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

why does my great danes both shake their head vigorisly and often

Both great danes are a year or less old and they play alot and their ears are always full of dirt and it very hard to clead them all the time, so over the last month they have been shaking their heads vigorisly over and over again, we have tried to clean them out and have had success, but I think they have an ear infections or something.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
This could be due to allergies, ear mites, or infection from getting water in them etc.
They shake their heads probably trying to end the itching in the ears.
Your vet can check for ear mites and give you ear meds. Usually its a crusty brown discharge when its mites. If you take some of that discharge out of the ear and lay it on a white paper towel or kleenex or sheet of paper then check it to see if any dark specs have moved away from the ear 'gunk' that would be a sign of mites as the mites will move looking for their host.
If it is an ear infection I've had very good luck with using Zymox which you can read about here
If the ears seem to really be itching them you can try some plain Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of dog to see if that helps with the itching. If its based on an allergy problem that can help.
Good luck with them!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am looking up this answer on the web to see if this med. is right for my dogs, both have this problem. It says for external use, does that mean not inside the ear, I also would like to ask if I accept the answer do I still get to ask ?'s about my problem or do I have to start all over again, I ask because I would like to accept so you can get paid but, want to make sure I get the info. I need?
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Yes the ear med is for use in the ears to help with the infection - they just are not supposed to drink it.
You can reply on this question even after you accept an answer and if it gets closed you can [email protected] to open it up again if you can't get it open again yourself. I'll be happy to help on follow ups if I can.
I've used the Zymox with rescue dogs that had awful gunky ears and it worked well. I used the one with the cortisone in it which stops the itch too.
But if this is an ear mite infection I'd suggest seeing the vet for ear meds as the prescription ones are in my opinion better than the over the counter ones.