Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hi Lorena,

This sometimes happens to male dogs. It may be due to the bulbous glands in the penis swelling outside of the outer skin (prepuce). This makes it hard for the penis to return to its normal position inside the prepuce. Or the hairs of the prepuce may have become caught preventing its retraction. This can cause problems if it is not corrected. You can try putting a little lubrication on the penis such as KY jelly and gently roll the prepuce back and forth and see if the penis will return to it’s normal position.

You can also make a saturated solution of sugar water using warm water. Mix the sugar into hot water until some sugar is left after mixing. Take a hand towel and soak it well and place it on the exposed penis. Be sure it is not too hot. This will sometime draw the fluid out of the bulbous gland and reduce the swelling allowing the penis to retract.   

If the penis stays erect and will not retract using above methods, you should have him seen by the vet. The vet may have to put the dog under anesthetize to lubricate and return the penis to it’s normal position

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Jane,

Thanks for your help, that's what I was told at
the vet. This is the thid time this happens and the last two he had surgery to put his pennis back. How dangerous is this and can I get around surgery??? Please help, I just paid $700.00 three weeks ago when it last happened???

Usually the things I mentioned above do work to shrink the gland and allow the penis to retract. Combining the shrinking of the gland and lubricating the penis before attempting to move it back to its normal position would be your best bet. If you are not comfortable manipulating the dog's privates, then going to your vet and having him do it would be your only option. The quicker this is taken care of the better chance you have of not having complications and it being successful. While neutered dogs can still get erections, I woiuld consider neutering him if he isn't already neutered. You might also ask about enlarging the opening so perhaps it can return to normal position easier.   The following sites may help you financially get the care your dog needs if you can not get it to return to its normal place.
Help-A-Pet This group helps low income families with vet care.

IMOM   This organization help people with emergency medical care in some cases.

Care Credit Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

American Animal Hospital Association
Helps animals that have been abandoned or if the owner is having financial hardships

Angels 4 Animals
This organization offers financial aid or treatment to those pets and owners in need.

God's Creatures Ministry
Help pay Vet bills for those that need help

The Pet Fund
Helps provide emergency vet care to those in need.

United Animal Nations
They help rescuers, low income and homeless pay for vet care.