Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian

my dog keeps squatting to pee over and over but nothing is ...

my dog keeps squatting to pee over and over but nothing is coming out. she keeps crying to go out as soon as i bring her inside but still nothing comes out. she has also thrown up twice. what is wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 9 years ago.
Females quite often get a bladder infection (cystitis), but infrequently have difficulty actually going, just the urge to go frequently. With discomfort and vomiting, I recommend you have her checked either first thing in the morning, or even yet tonight at an Emergency Clinic.

She may have a urinary obstruction, and physically can't go. If so, and is vomiting as a result, this is an emergency. You should be able to feel her full and distended bladder, low in her abdomen. Depending on how big a dog she is, her full bladder will be not quite half the width of her abdomen, just ahead of her back legs.

If it feels hard as a ball, she needs to be relieved tonight, if at all possible. You can't squeeze it may have a stone plugging it. If you feel no such object there, it could wait till morning.

I hope this helps, and best wishes to you both.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it looks like there is a little pee coming out. i think she just feels the need to keep peeing and the pee is minimal. i kept her inside despite her crying and she peed a little on the floor. she is about 4-5 months old.
That's good... she is just distressed with the urge to go. You can rest easier, and take her to the vet later today.

This might be a time to confine her so she doesn't piddle all over the house? It goes without saying not to leave the water down for her tonite.

Thanks for the good news.