How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tracy M Your Own Question
Tracy M
Tracy M, Registered Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 199
Experience:  Nearly 20 yrs experience in small animal medicine, emergency, and specialty practice.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Tracy M is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

are paint chips poisonous to dogs

Customer Question

my dog ate paint chips, what can i do, are they poisonous
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.


1. How long ago did this happen?

2. What kind of dog is this? Weight?

3. How much did he/she eat?

4. What kind of paint?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy M's Post: 1 hour and half ago
2 golden retriever 83 lbs
3 not sure how much
4 black paint shavings from outdoor gas grill
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.

Do you have the paint can? Does it contain lead? How is your dog acting? Any vomit/diarrhea/lethargy? Can you estimate how much was ingested?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy M's Post: i dont have the paint can, its the black paint that an outdoor grill is painted with. it got heated up too much and chipped off and he ate some. he seems ok, no vomit or diarrhea. i dont think it was a whole lot but honestly not sure
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.

The only concern would be if the paint contains lead, which I don't think it does. If he ingested a large amount, he would need treatment right away. Given his size, and the fact that he probably did not ingest many chips, he should be fine. If you notice any vomiting or diarrhea, or he seems lethargic and acting out of the ordinary, he needs to see a vet immediately. If your local vet is available this evening, you can let them know what happened. They may suggest giving him activated charcoal, but again, this treatment is only necessary if the paint chips contained lead, and this is usually only the case in homes painted before 1980. You can feed some bread to help the chips pass through his system. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.


Related Dog Questions