Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

can my dog get sick from rabies shot

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet last saturday, and it is now a been a week and one day, On his vist to the vet he got his first rabies shot, he is 11 months old. He was sore and tired the first 2 days, then he seemed ok the 3rd day, then on the 4th day, he was not eating, not drinking any water, not his self, just sleeping and not responding to me very well, not playing with the other dog. Then he started throwing up, I took him back to the vet and they gave me a sulpment cream to feed him, and he was still not wanting to eat or drink, so he went back to the vet and stayed over night, and I went to get him the next day, and they showed me how to force feed and water him. He is still not eating or drinking on his own, And he is having dirriea and is still very weak.. The vet want tell me what is going on, he thinks it may be from the shots, But I am scard he will die, if it keeps going like this. Is there anything I can do to get the Shots out of his system. Please Help. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.

Hello, rabies vaccines usually will cause a reaction much like what you saw in the first 48 to 72 hours after the shot. They will usually become lethargic and sore at the injection site but that will usually subside after a day or two. What he is going through now sounds rather extreme for a vaccine reaction. Have they run any blood work or taken any x-rays?

As far as getting the vaccine out of his system there is really not a way of doing it that I know of. You can give Dexamethasone injections and possibly some Benedryl injections to try and combat the effects of the shot but since it has been so long it would be hard to get anything out of the system. I would pump your vet for more information on your babies case. If he is not able to give you information on what is going on or does not want to give you information on his case then I would seek the help of a second opinion from a different vet. If you are afraid for your babies life and health then I would consider taking him for a second opinion if you are not comfortable with the vet you are at right now. Please be sure to let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They Have only tested blood for heartworms and he Negative. They have done a fecal exam, and found nothing. They say his gums are nice and pink, Checked his temp, Said it was ok.

This is a 5 pound Chihuahua.. He was fine before he got these shots, they gave him rabies and cv boosters..
that there is something else going on with your baby rather than a vaccine reaction at this point. I would request a full panel of blood work to rule out any type of pancreas insufficiency or infection in the blood stream. This will also check to make sure that his kidneys are functioning properly since he has been off of food and water for so long. Blood work will tell the doctor a lot of things as to what is going on with your baby and why it is going on. I would ask the vet to run blood work on your baby. If he is not willing to do this or does not want to do it I would seek a second opinion. Please be sure to let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With these Symptoms, What are some things it could be?

Tired all the time
Not eating
Not drinking
Dirriea
Not playing with other dog
Hello, the symptoms share a wide range of possibilities for your baby. A fever alone will cause all the of the symptoms listed. Pancreatitis can also share the same symptoms as above. A tick borne disease can cause all of the symptoms above (lymes, rocky mountain spotted fever). Depending on your location also Valley fever can also cause the symptoms above. Parvo can also cause some of the symptoms but usually there is always vomiting associated with it. More than likely in your babies case he has a combination of things going on with him like an infection in his body of some sorts that is causing a fever and thus making some of the symptoms appear. Then he has a trickle down effect going on of not being able to eat or drink so this is making him weaker and causing the lethargy to keep on going. The infection could be caused by anything at this point that is attacking his immune system. Ultimately something is going after your pups immune system and causing all of the issues. Now weather this is vaccine related or not it is hard to say at this point as a reaction this severe and so long after injection is rare at most if almost impossible. He could have been exposed to something at the vet or shortly after your visit to the vet that is infecting him at this point. He should at least be getting treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic and steroids to try and get him back to normal and combat what ever is trying to invade your babies body. I think if he is not getting any better at this point I would take him to a different vet as a fresh face to a case will sometimes be able to help out more than one that has been dealing with the case for so long. It is so hard for me to try and diagnose something with out knowing your babies complete history and seeing the dog for my self. I can only give you ideas and not a concrete answer, but I do believe that you will benefit from a second opinion at this point. Please be sure to let me know if you need anything else.