Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has flies swarming all over her. Ive tried ...

My dog has flies swarming all over her. I've tried bathing her, but nothing keeps the flies away. What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

I use a product called Flys-Off. It is a spray and is effective at keeping flys and mosquitoes off your dog. For open wounds, I would disinfect them and use neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area first which should help keep the flys off as well. Other people believe Avon skin so soft also helps repel insects on their dog if it is rubbed on their coat. Here is a site that sells Flys-Off. It is in most pet stores as well.

You might also want to try some selsun blue shampoo on your dog if she is itching. Leave it on for 15 minutes then relather and rinse. If your dog has a yeast dermatitis attracting the flies, this will help as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Someone once told me that flies might swarm around an animal if the animal is sickly. Could this be the case?

They would swarm around a sick animal due to leakage of bodily fluids and other foul discharges that would attract them.   But flies also attracted to well animals and humans as well. If your dog has a skin dermatitis such as yeast, that may attract them. This year, at least here in NC, the flies are really bad. If she has other symptoms that indicate she may be ill, then you should have her seen.