Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My dog has a sore that wont heal. It gets a ...

Customer Question

My dog has a sore that won't heal. It gets a real thick scab which gets real hard. When the scab comes off (I used to put bag balm on it and neosporin which would soften the scab) it is very raw under it. While it never used to bother my 14 1/2 year old pom, it now seems to bother him and even itch. I did take him to a vet and the vet told me to stop using bag balm and neosporin and gave me a product called "Calm Coat". He had these sores several years ago but they did not get as big as they are now. One sore is the size of a quarter and the other one is about half the size of a dime. The smaller one is scabbed over but the big one seems to get a crust on it (something like impetigo) and my dog wont leave it alone so it is constantly raw.
Any solutions? Thank you, Linda
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

Hi Linda:

Where is this located on your baby?

What are you currently feeding him?

Did the vet offer ANY ideas on what it is?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He thought it may have something to do with hormones. My dog was just recently neutered as one of his testicles was inlarged and fairly hard. I thought it may be cancer..Other than that, the vet didn't say anything about it.
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

Linda:

Not sure if my other questions came through to you or not so I will post them again. Thanks for the above information though :)

Where is this located on your baby?

What are you currently feeding him?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The sore is located on his side ...he used to have two other sores several years ago and cultures were done on them. At that time they were just scabs. Two of them have more or less disappeared but the other two are still there. I have fed him Eucanuba for years. Presently he is on the senior food. Just FYI...I have 2 other poms and they don't have anything like this so I don't think it is anything contagious.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I work a split shift so I will need to close for now. I will leave my computer on. I will return to my computer shortly after 11am...Thanks
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

Linda:

The first thing that comes to mind is that he may have developed a hot spot.The best way to treat this is to shave the area, wash with a mild antibacterial soap, rinse and pat dry thoroughly then apply Witch Hazel to the area twice per day. This will dry out the area and promote healing. It will likely get worse before it gets better, so you might consider applying some neosporin to the area as well. To give him some additional relief from the itching, you can give him plain benedryl, provided he is not on any other medications, 1-2mg per pound of body wieght every 8 hours. Hot spots (and itching in general) can be brought on by allergies (or can be seasonal). Which is where the food comes in. I would recommend that you stay away from products that contain corn or beef as these are big allergy triggers. I have been feeding my babies Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal variety and it comes in kibble and in canned foods. Eagle Pack also makes treats :) You can read more about it below:

http://www.eaglepack.com/ click holistic dog :)

If it is being caused by a flea bite (one bite can cause a heap of itchy issues) the benadryl in the dosage above will give him some relief. You can also give him a cool oatmeal bath to aid in relief. :)

Good luck and hope he feels better very soon. :)

Experience: 15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try this remedy. Hope it will work. I feel pretty sorry for him and the vet doesn't seem to know what in the heck is wrong with him. Thanks