Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog has been trying to clear her throat or nose all ...

My dog has been trying to clear her throat or nose all night, I can't tell which. She's making a sound that sounds like Donald Duck. She hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary that I know of. Her behavior is fine otherwise, she wags her tail and wants treats. Her nose is wet and she's breathing out of her nose and mouth as well, and even yawn. Is there anything I can do to help her clear whatever is stuck? (Assuming that something is stuck?)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

Dogs get upper respiratory infections, kennel cough and canine influenza.

It can also be kennel cough, a reverse sneeze, a swallowed non food item or an abscessed tooth.
Excitation does worsen this condition.

Kennel cough will usually resolve on it's own in about three weeks. Sometimes vets do script antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Doxycyline is the most common one used.

You can also use robitussin to give her relief.

Here is info on Kennel cough:

Her throat my be scratchy I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, cottage cheese, baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time If she throws up water, she can lick ice

He may have any human OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

Keep her on that very light diet of boiled chicken or cottage cheese for 48 hours. Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

She should see the vet if she has pale gums, constipation, cannot keep anything down, bloating, etc

I hope I have covered every possibility. Please let know if you still have questions and how your baby is doing, I will always be here for both of you.

Very sincerely,