Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog wont stop licking his butt. It looks ok,

My dog won't stop licking his butt. It looks ok, but he has constantly been licking it for two days now. What could it be and does he need to go to the vet? He is a German Shepherd mix we think with Norwegin Elkhound.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

It is possible he has an anal gland problem. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

If no lump in area It could also be tapeworm infestation. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.
The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region.

I hope you find this information helpful.