Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog all of a sudden acting really scared and has started ...

My dog all of a sudden acting really scared and has started bowing all the time should i take her to the vet or just wait and see if it stops Thanks

Is she panting, or drooling?

How long is she like this?

when and what did she eat last?

was she upset, stressed or frightened by anything?

is she an only dog?

what is "bowing"

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she is not panting or drooling. She was fine when we got out of bed this morning but when she went outside to go to the bathroom she came back in like this, she has not eaten anything yet this morning that I know of nothing has frightened her that I know if unless there was something outside, she is an only dog. Bowing is like when they stretch but she is only doing the front part and repeatedly.

I understand.Please stand by while I type detailed answer.

In the meantime, feel all ove her back, neck, legs and tail and tell me if anythng seems to hurt her.

Dear Brooke,

It sounds like she hurt herself. Because of the bowing, I am suspecting she injured a disc or vertebrae in her back or neck.She may be trying to stretch it out. Atendon in the leg is also possible.

When a dog gets hurt she becomes fearful because she does not know who to blame.

See if you can ascertain where the pain is coming from.Check inbetween the pads.Look in her mouth. See if she was bitten or bit into something.

Offer her something she cannot refuse like boiled chicken or coattage cheese.

Apply warm compresses to her back and neck.

If she will not eat and continues to act in pain, it is best to have her seen. Do not give her any OTC's because they interact with vet scripted drugs. Except benedryl if you see any swellings 2mg per lb of her weight.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you for your help she just threw up and it was nothing but grass and yellow bile I am guessing but she doesn't really seem to be feeling any better I will make sure she is not hurting anywhere if so I will take her to my vet. Thanks again it is really nice to be able to talk to someone to at least put my mind at ease.

Hi Brooke,

You are very welcome.I am happy to help someone as sweet as you and your baby.

Many times dogs eat grass to try and resolve their own digestive upset. However, grass can cause a blockage so give her fiber bread instead.

Also keep her on a light diet of boiled chicken or cottage cheese.

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electroytes.

Keep me posted throughout the day on how she is feeling. I hope she feels better and does not need to go to the vet.

NO need to accept again - this is just a followup comment!!!

Very sincerely,