Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

what happens if a dog eats cardboard

my 90 lb dog ate choc. drops in a heavy paper container. i gave him hytrogen proxide..he threw up the choc but can not find the paper container in the house...if he ate that will it cause a blockage in his intestines
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
If its just cardboard his body will likely process it through the GI tract. The symptoms of an obstruction would be vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, fever over 103, refusal of food and water and abdominal pain. Should he show any of those symptoms, please have him see the vet. I am glad to see you did induce vomiting as the chocolate is a bit more dangerous than the cardboard and the fact that he is a big boy...he should be fine. You can start him tomorrow on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle his tummy. :) Good luck :)