Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why is my dogs face bleeding

Customer Question

my dog is a 7 month old female rotweiler and her nose and the bottom part of her mouth keep bleeding, it looks really nasty i put peroxide on it but it looks like it is getting worst, she doesn't have rabies or any of the life threatining diseases that dogs get so why is her face bleeding? and it is twice as big as before
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Is the bleeding on the muzzle?
Does she have hair loss in this area as well?
Has she had any redness or discharge from her eyes?
Any hair loss on the edges of her ears?
Have you seen a vet about this condition?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: the bleeding is on the muzzle, around the lining of her nose and all around the bottom part of her mouth where the chin would be. i can't really tell if she has hair loss there it is pink like a bad rash. her eyes were red and swollen shut a couple weeks ago and we took her to the vet, they did not tell us what was wrong they just gave us all these meds and some eye drops, i do not have the meds with me but i believe one of them was called ramden! the drops worked, she can open up her eyes, she had a sty and now it is gone but her eyes are still leakin, she has no hair loss around her ears, and she has not been to the vet since we took her two weeks ago because we do not have the money

It could be a few different things such as a skin dermatitis or mange. Usually sores like you are describing on the chin are due to a condition called folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles). This is generally seen in dogs that are susceptible to staph infections, have mites, or are allergic to plastic or other feeding bowls that the chin comes into contact with. Your Vet will need to do a skin scrapping and examine it to determine if it is due to mites or a bacterial organism.Depending on the results your Vet will prescribe medication and/or recommend switching to stainless steel feeding bowls.

You can read about this here:

It does sound to me like you could be dealing with demodectic mange. Of course, without a skin scraping, it would be impossible to know for sure. Demodectic Mange is not contagious and frequently will resolve itself as the puppy becomes and adult and the immune system matures. I urge you to have your dog seen so your dog's condition can be diagnosed and treatment can be started. Below are websites on the various conditions that may cause hairloss like you describe.

Here is a website on Ringworm:
Here is two on Mange. Demodectic

You can read up on allergies here:

Ivermectin is freqently used to treat mange but should not be used on herding breeds. Some herding breeds are hypersensative to the drug and it can kill them. You can read about precautions, usage and dosing information here.
And about toxicity here:

I've had some success with topical Happy Jack Mange treatment, but I will warn you that it smells like sulfur and stains everything it touches. It is not a good idea to have your dog in the house with this on it. However, I did see hair regrowth in a week with this product. I was also using ivermectin as well.

Since finances are an issue, the following organizations may help.
Help-A-Pet This group helps low income families with vet care.

IMOM   This organization help people with emergency medical care in some cases.

Care Credit Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

American Animal Hospital Association
Helps animals that have been abandoned or if the owner is having financial hardships

Angels 4 Animals
This organization offers financial aid or treatment to those pets and owners in need.

I hope this information is helpful to you.