Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

how do i make my 2 week old puppy poop

Customer Question

i am bottle feeding her and was told i have to stimulate her until she is does going to the bathroom but all she does is pee
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

You need to gently stimulate both the belly and the rectum. I use a warm wash cloth and simulate the mothers tongue cleaning them. Sometimes a bottle fed puppy will develop constipation due to the formula not being mixed properly or well enough.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

The following site goes over how to care for orphan puppies.

I hope this information is helpful to you.