Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

If I neuter my male dog will he stop marking his territory ...

If I neuter my male dog will he stop marking his territory in the house
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jansmo,

In many cases neutering will help with marking behavior, dominance and even aggressive behavior. However, it is not a cure all and training is also required. You will need to teach your dog not to lift his leg except for urination.

First step will be keeping a leash on him at all times, even in the house when he is not in his crate if you have a crate. If you don't have a crate, I suggest you get one for training purposes. If you can not keep a close eye on him, he should be in his crate or an enclosed area with pads down. While you are watching him, each time he starts to lift his leg inappropriately, you will want to give him a quick short tug on the leash and say "NO" in a LOW TONE, FIRM but not necessarily loud voice.

If you think he might have to urinate, take him outside. You will have to do this consistently. When he urinates or marks an appropriate object outside, praise him highly. If he has a favorite object he's been marking, and you notice him smell it but pass it by, praise him for not marking it. You can also give a very small treat. With the short tug of correction along with the NO, he will quickly realize what NO means if he doesn't already know. High tones of voice and yells have the opposite affect on dogs. Dogs think that loud high-pitched noises signal play, while low toned voices are commands. Dogs yip and bark when playing, but growl deep in the throat to warn or correct. Thus the reason for a low toned firm command.

Practice this all the time, and it shouldn't be too long before he stops marking in the house. Then take the leash off. Still watch him closely. You might notice him sniff at an object and turn and look at you to see if you noticed he didn't mark it. If he does, call him to you and praise him. If he tries to mark, a No should now stop him. If you are consistent, your dog will learn that marking inside is not acceptable.

Of course, you will first have to get a good pet odor eliminating cleaner and wash down everything he's marked that is inside.

A good obedience class can help as well as nice long walks around the neighborhood.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to reply.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist