NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Why is my dog twitching when I pet him It is his whole ...

Why is my dog twitching when I pet him? It is his whole back that makes him twitch, not just a small area.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
It depends on what you are seeing. Many times dogs move their skin in an all over twitch when they are itchy and you are patting them but not quite hitting the itchy spot. Or if they itch all over they will roll their skin around when anywhere is touched trying to get the itch scratched everywhere.
See if scratching over the back area helps stop the skin itching.
You might want to consider having the dog checked for external parasites or putting him on flea prevention, or if the fur seems greasy or the skin flakey having him checked for skin issues.
Dogs can have skin infections, allergies, and reactions to flea bites causing them to itch.
Hope this helps you!