Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

how do i stop my male dog from licking up my female dogs urine

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

This is fairly normal behavior for male dogs especially ones that are intact. They "taste" the females urine and smell it to determine if they are in heat. This would be very hard to break him of. The only way would be to always have him leashed and correct him with a short tug and firm "NO" each time he tries to do this.

If your female is spayed, or not in heat, you will want to have her checked over by your vet as reasons for this besides her being in heat would include excess sugar in her urine or traces of blood in her urine. In either case, these conditions would point to a medical condition needing vet care such as a urinary tract infection or diabetes.

I hope this information is helpful to you.