ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

german shepherd: yr old female..heart worms..heartgard and in 2yrs

Customer Question

I have a female 1.5 yr old female german shepherd. I took her for annual ck up and she tested positive for heart worms.... The vet said to put her on heartgard and in 2yrs she should test negitive.. How can this help she was already on sentinel.
P.s. I went ahead and bought the heartgard and gave it to her because I love my dog.... Can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. Heartguard, unlike sentinel, is not only a preventative but can kill te larvae of the heartworms (the immature stage). However, if there are already adults present, they will likely be present and in full force in 2 years. I would first speak to the vet on what heartworm test was run (was it just checked for larvae under the microscope or was a test for adults done). If adults could be present, the treatment is ivermectin again (the main ingredient in heartguard), however, it is given in large doses and injected. This must be done at the vet's hospital as reactions to it can be severe, and if the dog was infested with them, to kill them is dangerous as well, because they can get trapped in a major artery, in which they live in (next to the heart).

So basically, speak to your vet about what test was done and if just giving heartguard each month is sufficient if adults are present, as likely it is not. It is safe to give the heartguard now before talking to him.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to ask about parvo. On line there are some remedies that a person can buy in the store. Herbal.... is this posible to help?
a tea is also mentioned. Is this a bunch of crap....
I have a new litter of 8 german sheperds that are 11days old. I went out to ck on them and momma and I smelled that smell I know from working in a vets office... long time ago.....
I started to pick up and look at each one to see if they were all alive. they were but the smell was coming from one of them.
I washed 2 that I felt needed cleaning. Wet from something.
After drying them I rolled them up in seperate towels. re washed my hands with anitbact. soap and bleach. yuck....
I then went back outside to dog house Large building.... where puppies are safe. and began cleaning everything with bleach.
With another look over I saw the rest of the puppies sleeping nicely.

Momma dog is up-set.... more than usual which leads me to believe she knows something is wrong.
She laid down to let puppies nurse and all wanted to eat. But afterwards she got up and puppies started moving. One puppy shot out dihrea. Brown in color but the smell was there. I picked up puppy.
Seperated compeletely and cleaned area where he was.
Why has this happened?
I'm so worried about losing the whole litter. I've waited 3 yrs to breed my girl. I even made sure puppies would have homes if I bred her. I am not a back yard breeder. I just wanted a good stock puppy to train in SARs.
Is there anything I can get at the Walgreens to help?
I know this parvo kills very fast. I know you are going to say take it to the vet. Which I wouldn't have any problem doing but I don't want them to treat puppy and then put him in a cage and let some vet tech. come by inbetween helping vet in clinic with other pets and cleaning cages and etc....
I feel I can treat puppy if I knew there was something I could get in Walgreens. I know I have to give puppy fluids. I have done this before many times working with vets. I called my vet and they want me to come in....Please can you help?
Expert:  NancyH replied 4 years ago.

It looks like Christine isn't going to be on today and you have been waiting some time. Would you like some help or do you want to wait for Christine?