NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

What causes cloudy non-catarac eyes in a 13 year old lab

My 13 year old chocolate lab female has developed cloudy almost opaque corneas in both eyes. Antibotic ointment and eye drops has not worked. We have seen a veterinary opthomologist who prescribed the ointment and drops, but with no success. What can we do? She does have diminished sight, but functions well in known surroundings, appearing happy and pain free.
I'm surprised the opthamologist didn't give you a diagnosis.
I see cloudy eyes in older dogs and they can be from a variety of issues including cataracts, infection, eye pressure changes, and just a general hardening of the lens.
You can scroll down on this page to read about cloudy eyes in dogs
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx
This page has a picture of an eye with nuclear sclerosis causing it to appear cloudy because the lense is hardening
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm
Nuclear sclerosis can impair low light vision.
There are things you can do to help a vision impaired dog and this site goes over many of them
http://www.blinddogs.com/tips.htm
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy,
Thank you for the information. No the opthomologist did not give us a diagnosis. We had received several diagnoses from various vets, which the opthomologist ruled out. These included cataracts and keratitis which her eyes do resemble. We are planning on taking her to a different opthomologist at University of Pennsylvania veterinary hospital in the near future, but were wondering if there was anything we could start doing now to help her. We are pretty much resolved to the fact that she is blind, but we want to ensure she is not in any discomfort.
I think the blind dog tips site will be a help to you. Dogs actually use scent and sound as much or more than vision to 'see' their world and working with that in mind should help your dog a lot.
Pups start out in life only with a sense of smell to help them find mom and get milk so that sense is the one they start out using to identify their world and you can use it to the dog's advantage with her vision loss.
Vanilla, orange, pepper and others from the spice cupboard can mark out safe or dangerous areas or objects for example. Doesn't take much scent for the dog to find it either.