Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

Dog Poop smelling like ammonia

What does it mean when my 15 year old labrador retriever poops and it has a strong ammonia smell? This is the first time he's done this...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

What food does your dog eat?

Is he acting normally, eating, drinking, urinating and was his poop formed and regular-looking?

When was his last vet visit and bloodwork?

Does your dog ever eat non-food items?

Has he been diagnosed with any medical conditions and/or is on any medication?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Cher
Thanks for the speedy response. He is eating Eukanuba dry food. His last visit to the vet was approximately 2 months ago....he is eating normally, drinking and peeing normally. Altho he goes in the house a lot and cant hold it in anymore. Like I said he is 15 years old and is arthritic. He is not on any medications. But this ammonia smell was very strong and not normal for him.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your additional information, Linda.

Because his stool smelled so strongly of ammonia, this could indicate intestinal parasites, a kidney, liver or pancreatic problem, or ingestion of a non-food or toxic substance.

Because he's having trouble holding his urine due to his age (not uncommon at all), it's possible that he peed either before or after he defecated, and the ammonia smell is coming from the urine, mixed with the stool. In any case, I don't blame you for being concerned, since the smell was strong and something you never smelled before.

Continue to monitor him for any unusual behavior and if his next stool smells the same way, I'd recommend a vet visit to have him checked out, OR, call your vet and ask if you can just drop off a stool sample for analysis, before bringing your dog in. This will provide more information for the vet and you, and then the source of the unusual smell will be diagnosed.

I hope he'll be fine, and would you please let me know what the vet tells you? Thanks.