Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

boston terrier: stopped eating, ran a fever and had a seizure

Customer Question

my boston terrier had a seizure after i got a new puppy. is this normal?she stopped eating, ran a fever and had a seizure. is this due to jealousy over the new dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

No, this is not normal when you bring in a new dog. I suspect the dog is ill. Dogs can develop seizures generally after the age of two, some earlier. A fever might indicate an infection somewhere in the body. Normal temp for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5. Anything near 104 and you should seek vet help asap. The fact that the dog is not eating is another indication of illness.

IF the dog has a seizure that lasts longer then five minutes, gets two or more seizures in a twenty four hour period, or has another seizure before recuperating from a previous one then vet help is required. Some dogs that develop idiopathic seizures may have them once a month or less. This would not require medication but it is a good idea to keep a log on the seizures to aid yourself and the vet. Jot down the time, date, anything that preceded the seizure, how long it lasted and what it looked like.

I am going to direct you to a site on epileptic seizures for further reading.