Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

9 yr old spayed female dog has an enlarged nipple

A couple of months ago, we noticed one of the nipples on our 9 yr. old spayed female dog was enlarged. I can feel a mass under the nipple. It doesn't seem to bother her. I had another female dog that had mammary cancer but her nipples never changed. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.

Hello, more than likely this is also a mammary tumor that has developed in your baby. For some reason some dogs get different types of tumors and masses in tha mammory area. I would have the tumor removed at this point and then biopsied to try and figure out just what type of tumor it is. That way the appropriate medication and treatment can begin. I am going to send you a link to some information on mammory tumors. If you need anything else please be sure to let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Bully Breeder's Post: Thank you for your response. I feared this was cancer and have already made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. The links you provided will be helpful. I accepted your reply and paid using Paypal. Thanks again for your quick response.
Thank you and I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and diagnosis. Just remember to hit accept to the answer so that I can be credited for the answer. I see that it came up as a reply to my last post so you may have to go in and hit accept this time to make sure that it goes though. Thank you again and I will be thinking of you and your baby and a great outcome.