Martha Windisch
Martha Windisch, Certified Pet Dog Trainer
Experience:  17+ years experience as a pet dog trainer. AKC titles in obedience, tracking, field and agility.
4651945

can my dog get pregnant while she is still bleeding

Customer Question

My dog mated with another dog and she's still bleeding, can she get pregnant?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Martha Windisch replied 9 years ago.

Yes, she can. When she is bleeding is when she is "in heat" and fertile. That is when she has the possibility of getting pregnant. If she allowed the male to breed her, then I would say that it is quite likely that she is pregnant.

Following is further information on the subject:

Bitches are only fertile when they are in their heat cycle. Thus, when she does come in heat, you cannot leave her unattended or a male dog could get to her (and male dogs are very motivated to do so - they will even scale a tall fence to do so). Bitches are in heat for approximately 21 days. They are not breedable the entire time and the time that they are breedable (i.e. the number of days into the heat cycle varies some among bitches and even from cycle to cycle in the same bitch - some of this depends on when the owner actually noticed that the bitch was in heat and started counting). If you are interested in learning more about breeding, purchase the following book: If and when you do decide to breed your dog, you need to get and study the following book: Canine Reproduction - A Breeder's Guide by Phyllis A. Holst, MS, DVM. To find this book, visit my web site: http://www.personalizeddogtraining.com/ and click on the upper left corner, Doggy Marketplace and that will take you down to some links for sites that sell dog books. Hopefully this book will be available at one of the sites.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need additional information.