Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

my dogs forehead area is warm almost like a fever on a ...

Customer Question

my dogs forehead area is warm almost like a fever on a human is this cause for concern>
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

A warm forehead on a dog does not indicate fever. You will need to take the temperature rectally to be accurate. Using a rectal thermometer put a little Vaseline on the end and insert about one inch, hold for two minutes. Normal temp for a dog is between 100.5 to 102.5. Anything nearing 104 should seek vet attention.

To bring down a fever lay some cool damp towels on the dog, especially the belly and feet. You can use ice packs but they will have to be wrapped in towels as this can actually burn the skin with contact. Never dip the dog in a tub of cold water.