Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

What is wet tail in a dog

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 9 years ago.

Good morning,

Here is info on that condition:

Please compare your babys tail to these photos:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html SOURCE

I printed this for you:

Cold water tail," "limber tail syndrome," "broken tail," "dead tail," "broken wag" are all euphemisms for a relatively common occurrence in sporting dogs. The tail of the dog hangs down from the tail base or is held horizontal for three or four inches and then drops down. A flaccid tail episode appears to be a painful, but relatively benign affliction that can occur after swimming, after a heavy hunting day or even after a bath with cold water or water that is too warm. It is not always associated with swimming or water, but can happen after a heavy day of work that involves a lot of tail action. The majority of limp tail cases have been reported in sporting dogs or hounds -- Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Setters, Pointers, Flatcoats, Foxhounds and Beagles are the breeds frequently named. Almost all dogs that suffer through an occurrence return to normal within a few days. Affected dogs may or may not have a repeat incidence during their lifetime. [It is this author's experience that symptoms will repeat in the same animal and can be trigged by something as simple as a cold water bath.] This affliction has been described by the layman as a "sprain," fibrosis or a "cold in the tail." The affected dog is miserable at the onset and the tail is painful. If neither the dog owner nor the veterinarian is familiar with this condition, it can be disturbing

Here is the rest of the link:

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/coldwatertail.html SOURCE

If your baby does no recover on her own, have her vet see him There are vet scripted meds that can help. If it is the anal glands they need to be expressed.The inflammation may be caused because they are full.

Please let me know how he is. I will always be happy to help further.I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri