Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog just ate a small bandaid

Customer Question

I just took a bandaid off of my wound on my finger and my dog just ate it. He is a small yorkie and I had him in my lap and he just ate it right out of my hands and went running for his little cage. I tried to get it out of his mouth but he had already eaten it. Is this dangerous should I get him checked out or will this most likely pass through his system?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

If the bandaid was swallowed in the last 2 hours, you can try inducing vomiting with a 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds. This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. You will need to look through the vomit to be sure the object is expelled.

If it does not come up, Right now about all you can do is wait and see what happens. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if the object passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the object passes through your dog's system. It probably will pass through his system with no problem though. I hope this information is helpful to you.