Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

what does it mean when your dog sniffs your mouth. I am ...

what does it mean when your dog sniffs your mouth. I am the alpha female in the house, and when I pick her up, she sniffs my mouth either in greeting or maybe to be sure of who I am. Just curious.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Missmarie,

My dogs are not allowed to "lick" my face, so they always smell my mouth. I think part of it may be them wanting to show they are submissive by licking but are unable to because of training. And then there are definitely times I think they are smelling to see what I had to eat that they didn't. My dogs are big dogs and usually after they sniff my mouth, they are off to see if I may have put any leftover "treats" in their bowls. I suspect your little one may be doing the same.

I hope this information is helpful to you.