Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why does my dog lower jaw quiver

My XXXXX XXXXX's jaw, at times, seems to quiver uncontrollably. She is 8 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi William Garner,

This could be caused by a problem in the mouth such as an abscessed tooth or dental disease. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. Additionally, an oral exam by the Vet can rule this out.

It could also be a sign of seizure activity, so I would be concerned. Focal seizures are a common problem. You may want to try and video tape it and take it into the Vet, so he can see exactly what is happening since it is hard to trigger in the office. You can read about seizures here:

I hope this information is helpful to you.