Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  Knowledge of Anatomy/Physiology, Pharmacology, Disease process

my dogs paw has a red swollen blister on

Customer Question

my dog's paw has a red swollen blister on one of her "pads". She licks it constantly. It has been about a week with no change. Do I need to take her in to the vet? Money is tight and I would like to avoid a visit if possible.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 9 years ago.
If you choose to try home care try the following:

Mix two tablespoons of 2 percent chlorhexidine (an antiseptic you can find at most drug stores) in a gallon of cool, clean water. Soak the paw for 10 to 15 minutes, two or three times a day to ease discomfort and prevent infection. Alternately you can drench a cloth in the solution and hold it on the paw for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Dry the paw well then rub a small amount of neosporin with pain reliever in it. The warm compresses may be making it worse. Use cold compresses or ice if tolerated instead. Pet stores carry a boot, somtimes called therapaw, that can discourage licking the area and protect the wound when outside. Be careful not to let it become moist or leave it on all the time because infection grows in dark, moist places. Blisters should be open to air for periods of time to promote healing. If it does not heal in the next few days, or if the blister gets worse, appears infected or she seems to run a fever or become lethargic. she will need to see the Vet.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Christy Hammond's Post: I am not totally sure it is a blister....but that is what is looks and feels like. It is red and swollen (almost looks like a little rasberry)and she limps a little (she is also my over reactor but I don't want to discredit anything that could potentially be harmful to her). I will try your remidy....what else could it be?

It may be a blister, or a small lesion. It may have started as a simple bump, then she licked it until it became irritated. Try the soaking, compresses, ice if she'll tolerate it, and keep it clean and dry as possible. Also try a protective boot if you can find one. She can wear it outside, and whenever you notice she is prone to licking the area. If the swelling doesn't go down over several days you should let a vet check it out.

Good luck to you both, let me know if you have any further questions, I'm always happy to help!