NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How can we treat a canine concussion

Our 1 1/2 year old german shepherd was hit by a vehicle driving by our home. She was knocked unconscious for awhile, but then got up and trotted back to the house. No vomiting, no broken bones, just bruised and probably a concussion. No bleeding from nose, ears or mouth. No change in appetite, no change in bowel movement, etc. She just seems to have a headache. She tries to be active, but then needs to lay down and rest. Is there any medication we can give her for pain? How long is the recovery time for a concussion?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
I'd get her in to see a vet if you see any signs of the pupils being enlarged or uneven.
Actually a vet exam would be a good idea. There are meds that can help stop brain bleeding or swelling and that might be something your dog needs.
You can read about head trauma in dogs here
I'd not give her over the counter pain meds as the only safe for dogs one is aspirin which might cause more bleeding as its an anticoagulant.
Hope this helps you!