Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

cant touch my dogs rear end without sounds of pain

recently my 11 year old dachsund mix does not allow me to touch his backside and he will not jump up or wag his tail
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.

Hello, I am sorry that your baby is not feeling well. I would have your babies anal glands checked to see if they need to be expressed. Alot of times when the anal glands are filled or impacted dogs will refuse to wag their tails or even let you touch the area. This maybe your problem. I am sending you a link to some information on anal sac disease and how to express them yourself if you would like. If you feel uncomforatable doing it then you can take him to your vet or a groomer to have it done. You should also consider having him check by your vet for any kind of spinal injury. Dachsunds are prone to spinal problems. A good x-ray and palpation by your vet will help determine if he has a spinal issue. Once that is determined you should be able to get him on some medication to help with the inflamation and pain. I hope this helps you some but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.