NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Iheard that you can use insulin to put your dog to sleep at ...

Customer Question

Iheard that you can use insulin to put your dog to sleep at home. Is this true? The vets want alot of money around here and I want to do it humanely. She is old and can barely get around now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
I don't think you would be happy with the results as your dog is likely to have some pretty bad side effects from an overdose of insulin. Weakness, depression and abnormal behavior along with seizures can occur from inappropriate insulin doses or the dog might go into a diabetic coma and linger.
The euthanasia drug used first drops the dog into deep sleep as under anesthesia and then the additional dose causes the anesthesia to deepen until the heart stops. Its designed to be painless.
If you have a place you can bury your dog you might find the euthanasia alone is not that costly. Usually I've seen the body disposition be the expensive part including the possibility of cremation and the return of the ashes to you.
You might want to check with the local animal shelter to see if they offer that service.
Hope this helps you!