Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497
Dog

if a dog only mates once whats the chance of getting pregnan

if a dog only ties... Show More
if a dog only ties up once whats the chance of getting pregnant?
If your dog tied, then chances are she is pregnant at this point. If you don't plan on breeding her in the future and don't wish for her to have this litter, you can have her spayed and this will take care of the problem. Let me know if you need to discuss this further. :)
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: Is there any way I can tell if she is pregnant I want to know as soon as possible so I can start preparring for the litter

The only way to tell is to have the vet either do a Relaxin pregnancy test (blood) after 35 days bred or to wait until after 45 days bred and do an x-ray or ultrasound. Personally, I would wait for the X-ray...that way you can see how many to expect and see how they are growing. :) Below you can read more about canine pregnancy. :)

Click here: The "Heat" Cycle

Good luck to you and your girl :)

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
i just want to get a second opinion on the question i asked gina which was if a dog ties only once whats the chance that she's pregnant
Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delay in getting to you as I just logged in. Gina is correct. It the dog mated only once, there is a very good chance that your dog is pregnant. A dog releases many eggs from the ovaries at one time which is why there are multiple births). With one mating there is a good chance that AT LEAST one egg was fertilized and most likely more than one. With multiple matings it ensures that the eggs not fertilized the first time will be fertilized on subsequent matings.

As Gina said your Vet has a few different ways to determine if your dog is pregnant. They can run a blood test to confirm pregnancy based on hormonal levels. You can read about this test here:
http://absolutelypets.stores.yahoo.net/caprte5.html

They can also gently palpate the abdomen at about a month after breeding to feel for puppy bumps. They can perform an x-ray during the final week of pregnancy (8th week) and look for puppy skeletons. This method can give you a good idea of how many puppies your dog may have. Ultrasound may also be available at your vet and can help determine pregnancy in a dog. Once a dog reaches the 8th week of pregnancy, you can frequently feel the puppies moving around inside of mom. I find it best to have the dog on their side and feel between the rib cage and hindquarters above the breast area.

I would assume she was pregnant as usually they are.