Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog ate a balloon, will that kill him

well i was going to give my sister a balloon and he dove for it and ate it whole.
Hi Aliciadh,

If the baloon was swallowed in the last 2 hours, you can try inducing vomiting with a 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds. This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. You will need to look through the vomit to be sure the object is expelled.

If it does not come up, Right now about all you can do is wait and see what happens. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if the object passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools ever become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well as there may be an intestinal obstruction which you can read about here.

As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the object passes through your dog's system.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you. (: i was in a nervous break down.
i just got this dog from the pound. just got to college on my own. haha. i thought he was going to die! thank you Jane. you helped a lot. will be commong back if any further questions cross my mind. once again thanks.