Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

why does my dog have dandruff so bad and what can I do to ...

Customer Question

why does my dog have dandruff so bad? and what can I do to get rid of it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi david,

Dandruff can be a symptom of dry skin, seborrhea or allergies. If this is due to dry skin adding omega fatty acids to the dog's daily diet will help in a matter of two to three weeks. You can find many dog products that contain this in your pet store.

Some dogs breeds are prone to skin problems such as seborrhea, if this is the case a vet visit would be in order.

Air borne allergies present another problem that can cause dry flaky skin and itching. This should also be determined by your vet.

There is also a mite that looks like dandruff so if the dandruff is moving then it is a mite infestation.

I would try the omega fatty acids first. If that does not work then get the dog checked for other possible problems.