Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

can i give my dog omnicef

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.
What kind of problem is your dog having? Has the Omnicef been prescribed for him previously by your vet?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Patricia's Post: Hello,

recently my dogs were involved in a small fight with each other. One was slightly injured on the leg creating a small punture wound. I was able to stop the bleeding quickly and I used betadine to clean up the
injured area and then bandaged it up tight but not to cut off circulation. I have some omnicef medication here but I am out of cephalexin. My question pertains to preventing an infection by using Omnicef. It is my understanding I could give my injured dog whom weight is about 50 lbs about 300 mg twice per day to help prevent any infection from setting in. Is this correct? Is my dosage correct? I dont deem the injury as a serious one as she limps but still can walk on it slightly to get around, Im sure in a week she will probably use it more naturally. Thanks in advance for all of your help.       

Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.
Okay, thanks for the extra information. I know it's going to be helpful. This is not going in the direction of the help I thought you needed so I am going to opt out of it and open it back up to other experts. We have several who are far more expert on dogs than I and I'm sure one of them will be able to help you, far beyond my expertise level with canine problems. One of them will hopefully be with you soon. Patricia