Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

Dog wont lie down. seems uncomfortable. Keeps

Dog won't lie down. seems uncomfortable. Keeps standing up. Has not urinated for a few hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
What type of dog is he? When did he eat last? How old is he? These answers will help me give you a better response.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
English Cream golden retriever 1 year old male, spayed. ALl shots, heartworm medication etc.. Ate last night, not eating today.
If he will allow you to try to push lightly on his stomach area and then along the spine from the middle of the back to the hips. Let me know how he responds to this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Animal Eyes's Post: No response in particular. Seems lethaargic. Seemed fine this morning. Did his usual run this morning. He's lying down now but he is clearly not comfortable. It looks like he is afriad to move. Not panting, no outward indication of pain. I have had 9 dogs, so I sort of know what I am looking for.
Ok thanks for the info. The concern is that he has either bloated or had a torsion occur, that would be one of the worse case scenarios. If he isn't vomiting try giving him some gas-x and see if that helps make him more comfortable. He may also have injured his back. It is possible that he tweaked it somehow when he was running or playing. The fact that he is acting uncomfortable would indicate some type of pain or nausea. I think it would be a very good idea to have him seen today if the gas-x doesn't help. If this is a torsion or bloat it will escalate fast. Here are a couple of websites that give more information on this problem. Please don't wait to have him seen if you suspect that this is the problem.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/gdv/