Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why does my dog back his rear end towards me

Customer Question

my dog backs into me, with his rear end touching me when playing. If playing with him on the floor, he will put his rear end in my face.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Slowe,

I've always figured the dog rubbing their rear against me was either an itch they had or attempts to "mark" me with a bit of their smell from the anal glands. In the doggie world, dogs turn their butts to other dogs as a form of greeting so each can smell the other. This is all part of a dog's complex social behavior such as the front end on the floor with the rear in the air to indicate a desire to play. I discourage the rear in the face while they are puppies and usually don't have a problem with it when they are adults.

I hope this information is helpful to you.